Training and Certification of Therapy Dogs and Handlers.
All course dates are flexible and can be created to meet your personal requirements providing that we have your chosen dates available.
We underdstand that rigid course dates can be difficult for some and as such we will work with you to find mutually agreeable dates.
Alternatively you can call us within office hours on the following numbers.
Landline 03 5763 2471 Mobile: 0488 585 771
K9 Support is offering a unique opportunity to participate in a 5 day Practical Therapy Dog Training Course with two Experienced Dog Trainers.
Both have over 20yrs experience in the dog industry, including Veterinary Nursing, Canine Behaviour training, Grooming, and Obedience training
Tessa and Tracey are also Mentor Dog Trainers for SDT (Service dog training) www.servicedogtraining.com.au
Tessa is also a qualified counsellor and member of the Australian Counselling Association, and is passionately campaigning for Australia's first Court Dog "Coop" which Tessa has trained to service level. Tessa has just returned from the United States where she attended the Courthouse Dog Foundation Conference in Seattle. Learning from (ADI) Assistance Dog International Accredited Trainers.
Upon successful completion of this course we will provide:
- Certification of dog and handler
- Identity Card for your dog
- Therapy dog vest
- Therapy dog mat
- Course notes
- Ongoing support
- Re-Certification – annually
Full course costs are $1800 +180 GST per person all inclusive
Register your interest for South Australia and Tasmanian Courses
We are looking for interest in bringing our Training and Certification of Therapy Dogs and Handlers Course to South Australia and Tasmania.
- Tasmania October 2018
- South Australia 19th - 22nd July 2018
If you'd like to take part in one of our courses in these states then please contact us here so we can gauge interest.
You may sign up for our courses in Victoria below.
Here are some photographs taken at one of our courses.
Who can apply for this course?
- This course is suitable for anyone wishing to volunteer, start a career in Animal Assisted Interventions , or to add a Therapy dog to your agency.
- All breeds welcome. Must be at least 5 months old and fully vaccinated, wormed and flea treatment up to date. Proof of the above will be required.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old
This Course will provide theoretical and practical components. It will allow participants "real life" training with their dogs. The firsts two days will involve, theoretical and obedience training with working simulations. It will include OHS, consent forms, protocols, and insurance. The last three days will involve "real life training" involving the public including children. Visits to shops, street training, cafés, vet clinics, and schools and aged care facilities, to help you see how your dog will work, and how we can improve our dogs and ourselves as handlers. And most importantly to give you and your dog the confidence to continue on your path to success in AAI
- To become certified as a Team, the dog must first be temperament tested to make sure he/she is suitable for our classes and therapy work in general.
- Both dog and handler must be interested in helping others in need.
- We will be concentrating on how the dog copes in all situations to make sure it is up to the tasks put before it. Fundamentally we are looking out for the welfare of the dog on all occasions.
- Handlers will be taught to recognise signs of stress and possible burnout in their dogs.
- Our program consists of approximately 4 to 5 separate sessions per day.
- Problems and concerns regarding training will be solved each day as they arise during sessions.
- Lunch is provided on all days, as is morning and afternoon tea (included in course costs), please let us know of any dietary requirements.
- Accommodation is available on site for a small number of people. (added cost)
- Please call 03 57 632 471 with any questions regarding this unique course, and to receive an information pack regarding course requirements.
Part payments will be accepted by direct debit but full payment must be made two weeks prior to course. Please contact Tessa directly to arrange part payments.
Please fill in the following information and payment details. Once we receive this we will call you to discuss any requirements for you and your dog.
Please email any inquiries by using our contact form or phone 03 57 632 471 / 0488 585 771
Sign Up Here
This online course is not available in your region.