Training and Certification of Therapy Dogs and Handlers.
All course dates are flexible and can be created to meet your personal requirements providing that we have your chosen dates available.
We underdstand that rigid course dates can be difficult for some and as such we will work with you to find mutually agreeable dates.
Alternatively you can call us within office hours on the following numbers.
Landline 03 5763 2471 Mobile: 0488 585 771
K9 Support is offering a unique opportunity to participate in a 5 day Practical Therapy Dog Training Course with two Experienced Dog Trainers.
Both have over 20yrs experience in the dog industry, including Veterinary Nursing, Canine Behaviour training, Grooming, and Obedience training.
Tessa passionately campaigned for Coop to become Australia's first Court Dog, effort that paid off with Coop now officially the first dog to be allowed into Australia's court rooms.
She began her early working career at Goulburn Valley Centre Against Sexual Assault in Shepparton, and Centre against Violence in Wangaratta. Children, women and men have been helped by her soft kind intuitive nature.
Tessa has just returned from the United States where she attended the Courthouse Dog Foundation Conference in Seattle. Learning from (ADI) Assistance Dog International Accredited Trainers.
Upon successful completion of this course we will provide:
- Certification of dog and handler
- Identity Card for your dog
- Therapy dog vest
- Therapy dog mat
- Course notes
- Ongoing support
- Re-Certification – annually at a cost of $300
Full course costs are $1800 +180 GST per person all inclusive
Here are some photographs taken at one of our courses.
Who can apply for this course?
- This course is suitable for anyone wishing to volunteer, start a career in Animal Assisted Interventions , or to add a Therapy dog to your agency.
- All breeds welcome. Must be at least 12 months old and fully vaccinated, wormed and flea treatment up to date. Proof of the above will be required.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old
This Course will provide theoretical and practical components. It will allow participants "real life" training with their dogs. The firsts two days will involve, theoretical and obedience training with working simulations. It will include OHS, consent forms, protocols, and insurance. The last three days will involve "real life training" involving the public including children. Visits to shops, street training, cafés, vet clinics, and schools and aged care facilities, to help you see how your dog will work, and how we can improve our dogs and ourselves as handlers. And most importantly to give you and your dog the confidence to continue on your path to success in AAI
- To become certified as a Team, the dog must first be temperament tested to make sure he/she is suitable for our classes and therapy work in general.
- Both dog and handler must be interested in helping others in need.
- We will be concentrating on how the dog copes in all situations to make sure it is up to the tasks put before it. Fundamentally we are looking out for the welfare of the dog on all occasions.
- Handlers will be taught to recognise signs of stress and possible burnout in their dogs.
- Our program consists of approximately 4 to 5 separate sessions per day.
- Problems and concerns regarding training will be solved each day as they arise during sessions.
- Lunch is provided on all days, as is morning and afternoon tea (included in course costs), please let us know of any dietary requirements.
- Please call 03 57 632 471 with any questions regarding this unique course, and to receive an information pack regarding course requirements.
Part payments will be accepted by direct debit but full payment must be made two weeks prior to course. Please contact Tessa directly to arrange part payments.
Please fill in the following information and payment details. Once we receive this we will call you to discuss any requirements for you and your dog.
Please email any inquiries by using our contact form or phone 03 57 632 471 / 0488 585 771
Sign Up Here
This online course is not available in your region.